Thursday, May 22, 2014

"Kites In The Breeze" Quilt-In-Progress

Pardon my absence folks, I've had quite a few things on my plate since my last post. Between school, kids, husband, and "the big move", I thought it best to take a few moments in between projects for a while. Now I think it's time to get back into the swing of things.

I found this great website Missouri Star Quilting, and took advantage each time I saw one of their amazing "Daily Deals", and I invested in the 5" precuts mostly. My plan was to make the X's and O's quilt (also by Missouri Star Quilting) based off of the free pattern that I was given, upon my first order, and the YouTube video I found at which you can find the link below.

This quilt will be the size of a Twin XL or a nice lap blanket.

So here is my quilt thrown up against my couch and you can see that I've just sewn those squares together and then I've used safety pins to pin the "quilt sandwich" together. I know there are basting sprays and all out there that will do the job of the pins, I have used them all before and although they work great, they bother my breathing to much to use on bigger quilts such as this one.


So I want to show you why it's called "Kites in the Breeze" and explain why I chose kites of all things. I noticed that when sewn together this quilt had a bright Spring/Summer-y feel to it and I want the quilting to feel the same way. I went over so many ideas in my head, but nothing felt right. As I slept that night, I dreamed of sewing kites onto the blanket and I knew that was the stitching I should use. The next morning I began working on my kites.


In this picture I want you to get a closer look at my stitches. Although I can easily work this up on my machine, I'm opting to hand stitch these kites on. I've been using a simple running stitch, and for the kites bows I've been using an embroidery stitch known as the "lazy daisy" stitch. It's simple to make and actually pretty fun. I've posted a YouTube link below for those of you who aren't familiar with this stitch.

There you have it, my Quilt-In-Progress that I hope to have finished before long. I look forward to your comments and as always, your feedback is important to me. All of the links are posted below and I'm eager to have this quilt finished for you all to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment