Sunday, April 19, 2015

Crocheted Blankets

I know, I know.... I'm so late in getting these to you. I hope once you see what I made you'll forgive me. I did post them into my actual G+ page, so that's not too bad.... right? Anywho, lets you and I just jump right into it then shall we?


For all my Georgia Tech fans.... for your viewing pleasure, I present to you: THE GA TECH CAR SEAT BLANKET!!!!! Imagine reading that in "announcer-touchdown" voice, makes it way cooler sounding. My SO became a grandfather by his ex son-in-law this year. I knew that his ex-wife was a HUGE Tech fan so I literally couldn't pass on the opportunity to make this for them. Although, it would have been easier on my hands if she was a Bulldogs fan instead.

I used a size 5.50mm hook, worsted weight yarn, fabric for the back, and a needle and thread. How I wish now that I would have taken a picture of the back so you all could see just how adorable this blanket truly is. I tried to make the logo as true to form as possible. I crocheted a ton of granny squares, using the join-as-you-go method for each row, and finished it off with 2 rows of double crochet (US terms). One in white, the other in navy. Why did I use fabric for the back? Since this is made for a newborn, the worsted weight is to rough for their delicate skin. The fabric on the back allows the parents to get actual use out of this.


For those of you who don't know, I had a baby boy this year. Keeping in tradition of making blankets for my babies (all 5 of them now have hand made blankets from me) I wanted to make my baby a special one. This was actually the blanket that started the Ga Tech blanket. My son is named Azael, but that seemed like an awful lot of work to put into a baby blanket. So, I grabbed a 5.50mm hook and 2 big balls of WW yarn and went to it making his nickname.

I made the entire A before I did anything else, just so I could see how big I wanted this thing to be, and I still had to add a row to the bottom because the Z was bigger than I thought it would be. The Z and I were join-as-you-go on each line, but the Z however, I made all of the red blocks before I did anything, and as I made each brown block I joined, There is a row of double crochet (again, US terms) in between each letter and a border of double crochets. I absolutely adore this.




This is another one that I regret not taking a better picture of, but I was in a hurry to get this one sent out, and to be honest I was a bit miffed that it didn't turn out the way I wanted. What I was going for a was a  traditional vineyard look, what I got was understated Christmas. My younger cousin was a few weeks into her second trimester when she was told she had miscarried one of her twins. When I heard that, I decided to change out the light brown yarn I was using for white, a symbol of peace an clean beginnings. Though my intentions were good, it really affected the overall look of the blanket.

That this was meant to look like was 3 rows of double crocheted burgundy (representing the grapes turning into wine), a row of green bobbles (for the white grapes that we in the south call green grapes), a dozen or so rows of light brown (meant to be the dirt from which the grape vines grow), and then a row or burgundy bobbles (the red grapes that would make the red wine). You can get the picture now of how it was meant to look. I was then going to add an accent piece of a bushed of red grapes with a leaf attached. When I switched out the brown for the white, the bushel of grapes now looks like a cluster of holly.

Although I'm peeved at the whole project, my cousin loves it, which in the end is all that really matters. I hope you all have enjoyed my little crochet projects, and as always Happy Crafting Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment