Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Review: The Veiled Heart

The Veiled Heart The Veiled Heart by Elsa Holland
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

What the author was thinking when she wrote this book is beyond me. There are so many ways that this story could have gone, but it took the one route that proves that some people just need to stop writing.

We have a woman who was raped, beaten, sodomized, and every other vile thing you can imagine by her late husband (so the author says, but she could have gone into more detail) and yet her character doesn't read like an abused woman. A scared woman, yes.... but not the sort of woman who went through the amount of torture that she did. Her character and story line held so much potential, but the author dropped the ball in order to get as much sex into the book as she could.

All the other characters were simply secondary. Even Max, ANOTHER MAIN CHARACTER didn't reach me as anything but secondary. I can break it down for you easily:

Max = The charming hero who helps our heroine see the true nature of things
Maurice and Cynthia = The brother and sister in law we have to hate
Aunt D = The clueless older woman who is more interested in society than her niece
Freddy = The Villain

Cliche, cliche, cliche. The more I read, the more I skimmed, and the more I just wanted to hear "Lily's" back story from Freddy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment