Saturday, May 21, 2016

Review: MacLean's Passion

MacLean's Passion MacLean's Passion by Sharon Cullen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

**Free ARC provided by Netgalley.com**

A bit, and I mean a bit, better than it's predecessor, MacLean's Passion was a decent read that only slightly held my attention throughout. I didn't have to force myself to read this, but I did get disgusted a few times at the repetition. First things first though.... what I liked and disliked.

LIKED
1. Maggie. Plain and simple, Maggie was my kind of heroine. She was fierce, brave, vulnerable, unsure, strong, and all woman. She used her brain when she needed to, her body when necessary, and her sheer stubbornness when left with no other option.

2. The Writing. Sharon Cullen has the ability to really pull you into her stories. Her writing is clear, concise, and she really makes an effort to make every characters accent and personality their own. I'm not saying her books are for everyone, but I think as she evolves as an author, her work with lose most of it's rough edges.


DISLIKED
1. Evan, Colin, Campbell.... literally every man in this book. Before anyone starts shouting "feminist", hear me out. Most of the time I hate to read a book with a strong male/weak woman scenario. I also hate reading books where the opposite is true. While there were so many similarities between Colin and Maggie, I felt like Colin's strength was mostly a facade whereas Maggie went out of her way to prove her strength.

2. Repeated, and detailed, sex scenes. I get it, they're married, they're really attracted to each other, the sex is incredible between the two of them, and passions are running high all around them. Honestly though, did we need literally a dozen pages telling us how much Colin enjoyed sex with Maggie?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment