Friday, July 8, 2016

Review: The Highlander

The Highlander The Highlander by Kerrigan Byrne
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

**Free ARC from Netgalley.com**

I really enjoyed this book and had no idea it was art of a series until I looked up the expected publish date. The author wrote this book with the reader in mind, as it reads wonderfully as a stand alone. That being said, let's get down to the bare bones of it shall we?

I loved how descriptive this story was.
Every detail was meticulously written and it gave little way for interpretation. I always love books like this because the author clearly has a picture in their mind of how everything looks, feels, and smells and writing like this allows the reader to see, feel and smell exactly what the author did.

I enjoyed the different character dynamics.
It was wonderful reading about Andrew, Gavin, Mena, and Liam.... I even enjoyed Hamish. The way the author played the characters off of one another was beautifully executed.

The Epilogue was refreshing.
I fully expected to read about how a few years after the final sentence in the main story was finished we would get a glimpse of Liam and Mena's future life. They would be surrounded by their beautiful children or she would miraculously have gotten pregnant after repeatedly stating that she was "barren". That wasn't the case and I was physically relieved when I read the Epilogue. I also want to mention Jani. He was by far my favorite character and I hope he gets his own story, even if it is only 100 pages or so.

I hated how drawn out some parts were.
Some areas of this book stalled. Such is usually the case when the author spends so much time trying to recreate the exact scenes in their head. Although this was a bit annoying, I really valued the clear picture it painted for me. This only cost the story 1/2 a star.

Hamish
Laim's crimes are so great that even he can't speak of them. Apparently no one can... but Hamish bates Liam at one point and bares his most damning secrets (in his opinion). Yet, why didn't Hamish spill some of the other crimes Laim had committed? Why did it take him so long to act? Why were there only 2 attacks in the months that Hamish was in the book? Hamish just seemed like a character that really didn't belong in the story, but maybe the author wanted to tie up a loose end with his character, or perhaps use him as a plot twist. He most certainly wasn't the climax, although he almost was. Hamish's role cost the story another 1/2 of a star.

The sex scenes were ridiculously long.
Just about every one of these books have long, drawn out sex scenes. In the monarchy of sex scenes, this book is the Queen. Just like everything else in this book, the sex scenes were almost stalled in their descriptions. It made for an interesting read, but I really could have done without the multiple pages of the multiple times Liam and Mena were physically intimate. This cost the story 1 star.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment